In 2006, while working on his PhD at Washington University School of Medicine, Jeff’s doctoral research was selected for external funding by a biotechnology company based in Palo Alto. This opportunity provided him with a front-row seat at how the legal process impacts the interplay between academia and the private biotechnology sector. From here, his interest in the legal aspects of science and technology was born.
After completing his PhD in Immunology, he attended the University of British Columbia and obtained his Law Degree. He spent 3 years as an IP litigator, before settling in to focus on intellectual property protection, and technology transactions for the last 10+ years. In 2018 he became a partner at Snell & Wilmer. He works primarily out of Snell & Wilmer’s newly opened office in San Diego, where he moved with his wife and two kids in June of 2020.
Jeff believes protecting the interests of a client’s business goes well beyond intellectual property rights. Representing startup companies, large enterprises, and serving as external counsel to dozens of companies around the world, he is passionate about his role in helping a business grow.
· All aspects of IP and technology law
· Particular expertise in the life sciences industry
· Significant experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications in a wide-range of technologies, i.e. immunotherapies and genomic sequencing
· Managing worldwide patent and trademark portfolios
· Advisor to a diverse set of clients on international IP issues
· Represents numerous technology & EdTech companies for their IP and commercial law needs