In 2006, while working on his Ph.D. in Immunology at Washington University School of Medicine, Jeff’s doctoral research was selected for external funding by a biotechnology company based in Palo Alto. This opportunity provided him with a front-row seat to see how the legal process impacts the interplay between academia and the private biotechnology sector, and the importance of intellectual property protection for new inventions. From here, his interest in the legal aspects of science and technology was born.
After completing his Ph.D., he attended the University of British Columbia Law School and obtained his J.D. For the past 15 years, his practice has focused on intellectual property protection, and related technology transactions. In 2018, he became a partner at Snell & Wilmer. He works primarily out of Snell & Wilmer’s San Diego office, where he moved with his wife and two kids in June of 2020. He is currently the Co-Chair of Snell & Wilmer's Life Sciences & Medical Technology Industry Group.
Representing startup companies, large enterprises, and serving as external counsel to dozens of companies around the world, he is passionate about his role in helping a business grow.
· All aspects of IP and technology law
· Particular expertise in the life sciences industry
· Managing worldwide patent and trademark portfolios
· Significant experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications in a wide-range of technologies - including immunotherapies and genomic sequencing
· Advisor to a diverse set of clients on international IP issues
· Represent numerous life science, technology & EdTech companies for their IP and commercial law needs